Deep Orange - BlueGene/L

This is where you talk about the NXJ software itself, installation issues, and programming talk.

Moderators: roger, imaqine, 99jonathan

PatrickLismore
Active User

Deep Orange - BlueGene/L

Postby PatrickLismore » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:27 am

Does anyone agree that a project such as one that combines Brian Bagnalls Deep Orange chessing playing robot arm with the computing power of a machine like Blue Gene would generate a lot of interest.

I think a project like that would be really interesting, slightly modifying it to include a camera to analyse the board after the human player makes a move.

Blue Gene calculates the moves and Deep Orange with the camera moves the pieces and feeds back the data to Blue Gene.

A fully automated Super Computer chess playing robot arm with Lejos, NXT , Bluetooth and Blue Gene.

bbagnall
Site Admin

Postby bbagnall » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:36 pm

Hi Patrick,

One thing that would make this project work better is improving accuracy of the robot arm. Since doing the arm I had a bit of time to think about it and I think the "backlash effect" of loose gears causes the accuracy to go down. This effect could be accounted for in the code to make the movement more reliable.

Having a camera watch over the board, allowing users to move pieces without typing moves to the computer would be nice of course. I thought about doing something like that but it gets pretty complex for book-example type of code.

Regarding Blue-Gene, how do you interact with it? I assume there is some sort of web based interface?

PatrickLismore
Active User

Postby PatrickLismore » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:29 pm

The BG/L system software stack offers a familiar programming environment to the application programmer. The use of standard MPI libraries and programming languages (Fortran, C, and C++) facilitates the development of new applications and the porting of existing ones to BG/L. Our experience with benchmarks and production applications shows that they can be ported with modest effort (of the order of days) and typically achieve very good performance and scalability.

http://www.research.ibm.com/journal/rd/492/moreira.html

I just read through this
PDF

http://www.cbrc.jp/symposium/bg2006/PDF ... gement.pdf

It shows a web interface looks like web interface is only used for admin the url in the browser shows the pages as .JSP

Return to “NXJ Software”