Official Fantom driver download is broken

This is where you talk about the NXJ software itself, installation issues, and programming talk.

Moderators: roger, imaqine, 99jonathan

skoehler
leJOS Team Member

Official Fantom driver download is broken

Postby skoehler » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:50 pm

The Fantom Driver (also sometimes spelled Phantom Driver) download provided on the official Lego homepage is currently broken. The ZIP file that can be downloaded at http://www.lego.com/en-us/mindstorms/downloads is incomplete. The following two files are missing in the ZIP file:

Code: Select all

NXT Fantom Drivers/Windows/1.2/1.2.0/Products/LEGO_NXT_Driver_64_Support/NXT_D00/LegoMindstormsNXTdriver64Supp.msi
NXT Fantom Drivers/Windows/1.2/1.2.0/Products/LEGO_NXT_Driver_64_Support/NXT_D00/LegoMindstormsNXTdriver64Supp_mft.cab

Thus, the installation of the driver will fail on 64 Bit Windows with an error message. Installation on Windows 32 Bit and OS X (32 Bit and 64 Bit) seems to work fine.

A working Windows version of the Fantom driver version 1.2.0 is available on the RobotC homepage. The ZIP archive provided by the RobotC folks is complete and the driver has been tested with leJOS. However, the download does not include the OS X version of the driver. The URL to download is:
http://www.robotc.net/support/troublesh ... driver.php

Nintenzo
New User

Re: Official Fantom driver download is broken

Postby Nintenzo » Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:49 pm

Just experienced this. If you still have the folder, try searching for "Nxt" on your PC, you'll see a .msi file which you click to install the version 1.20.115 driver successfully. The .msi is not missing, maybe the path was wrong.

The driver says it came from LEGO, and the .msi file was located in my Downloads folder, at the time only the LEGO folder was in it, so I'm confident that the msi file didnt come from anywhere else.

skoehler
leJOS Team Member

Postby skoehler » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:48 pm

I don't understand. Are you saying that you found the missing files somewhere on your harddisk? In what way is that related to the fact that Lego's download is broken since it doesn't contain the missing files? The files will not be on everybody's computer, especially if the Fantom driver is the first piece of Lego software that is being installed.

vicci
Novice

Postby vicci » Tue May 26, 2015 1:26 pm

Trying to use nxjbrowse I got the following message:

leJOS NXJ> Error: Failed to load USB comms driver.
leJOS NXJ> Caused by lejos.pc.comm.NXTCommException: Cannot load NXTComm driver
leJOS NXJ> at lejos.pc.comm.NXTCommFactory.newNXTCommInstance(NXTCommFactor
y.java:110)
leJOS NXJ> Caused by lejos.internal.jni.JNIException: cannot load library C:\PRO
Gs\JavaPROGs\leJOS_91\leJOS NXJ\lib\pc\native\windows\x86\jfantom.dll, architect
ure windows/x86
leJOS NXJ> at lejos.internal.jni.JNILoader.loadLibrary(JNILoader.java:121)
leJOS NXJ> Caused by java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: C:\PROGs\JavaPROGs\leJOS_91
\leJOS NXJ\lib\pc\native\windows\x86\jfantom.dll: Can't find dependent libraries

leJOS NXJ> at java.lang.ClassLoader$NativeLibrary.load(Native Method)

Than I installed the Fantom driver version 1.2.0 succesfully from the RobotC homepage , but the connection with nxjbrowse failed again, the message was:
BlueCove version 2.1.0 on winsock

I am using WIN 8.1 with JDK 8.0.1_45 x86 and leJOS 9.1
What can be wrong?
Hi vicci

vicci
Novice

Postby vicci » Tue May 26, 2015 3:59 pm

Attachment:
Dependency has revealed, that the following drivers are missing:

WBTAPI.DLL
NISPYLOG.DLL
IESHIMS.DLL
EXT-MS-WIN-NTUSER-UICONTEXT-EXT-L1-1-0.DLL
API-MS-WIN-SERVICE-PRIVATE-L1-1-1.DLL
API-MS-WIN-CORE-SHUTDOWN-L1-1-1.DLL
API-MS-WIN-CORE-PRIVATEPROFILE-L1-1-1.DLL
API-MS-WIN-CORE-KERNEL32-PRIVATE-L1-1-1.DLL

How to get them?
Hi vicci

gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby gloomyandy » Tue May 26, 2015 4:29 pm

Just use the RobotC download. When you have that version installed what exactly is going wrong? The message "BlueCove version 2.1.0 on winsock" is not an error it just tells us what version of BlueCove is in use.
leJOS news https://lejosnews.wordpress.com/

vicci
Novice

Postby vicci » Wed May 27, 2015 6:25 am

This I have done already. If I repeat the feature and start to install any of the both items I get the message:
Installation Summary
No software will be installed or removed.
By vicci

gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby gloomyandy » Wed May 27, 2015 12:11 pm

I would start again, remove whatever you have already installed, then just install the RobotC driver, then test things again and report the details of the error. I still don't understand what error you are getting when using the RobotC driver.

vicci
Novice

Postby vicci » Wed May 27, 2015 6:27 pm

Now I have unzipped the NXT_USB_Driver_120.zip again and installed once again all three
LegoMindstormsNXTdriver32.msi
LegoMindstormsNXTdriver64.msi
LegoMindstormsNXTdriver64Supp.msi
programs. The check with dependents shows the same missing drivers as before.
I was however not able to perform the exe-program in Bin, the message told me that there is not enough place in memory!!?? No idea what it means.
I installed the EV3 MINDSTORMS FIRMWARE hoping that it would install the proper
drivers automatically but it did not. It´s bad because I am not able to upload any programs to NXT blocks.
Should I replace Java and leJOS programs ass well?
By vicci

gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby gloomyandy » Wed May 27, 2015 6:59 pm

Did you remove whatever you had already installed before you did this? You should not be running the individual .msi files, just unzip the download and run the setup.exe file.

There is no point in doing anything with your leJOS install. You need to sort out the drivers.

I'm sorry but I don't understand what you mean by "I was however not able to perform the exe-program in Bin", can you explain?

vicci
Novice

Postby vicci » Thu May 28, 2015 6:46 am

[quote]Did you remove whatever you had already installed before you did this?[/quote]
Sorry, what should I remove, drivers (do not know how) or programs? Which ones?

[quote]You should not be running the individual .msi files, just unzip the download and run the setup.exe file. [/quote]
Yes, first I used setup.exe, but later I found those msi files and believed that these should be used. But both did not work.

[quote]I don't understand what you mean by "I was however not able to perform the exe-program in Bin"[/quote]
There is some mysterious exe file in the Bin directory of NXT_USB_Driver_120.zip package. No idea about the purpose.

BTW: My NXT brick sees via BlueTooth another brick, sees PC, iPad and Phone. But my PC sees no brick. It must be a problem of some driver, right?

gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby gloomyandy » Thu May 28, 2015 7:57 am

I'm sorry but your PC sounds to be in a rather confused state (you really should not just run .msi and other files at random), the fact that Bluetooth is also not working is another symptom of this (the LEGO/RobotC drivers do not touch your PC Bluetooth setup). I don't think it will be possible to resolve these sorts of problems via a forum. If this was my PC I would almost certainly re-install Windows and start again, but you may not want to do this. Other users have installed the drivers with no problems using the RobotC download, I suspect on a clean system these would also work fine for you. You may be able to get things back to some sort of sane point by using a Windows restore point to undo the various driver installs that you have performed, or perhaps use a backup to go back to a stable point (do you have backups of your system? If you don't please make sure you do before going any further!). But again I do not think it is sensible to try and talk you through this process remotely.

Sorry I know that this is probably not what you want to hear, but I don't think it is possible to fix the problems you have remotely.

vicci
Novice

Postby vicci » Sat May 30, 2015 12:03 pm

My problem seems to be rather complicated, nonetheless thank you for your help.
vicci

skoehler
leJOS Team Member

Postby skoehler » Sat May 30, 2015 9:53 pm

vicci wrote:Now I have unzipped the NXT_USB_Driver_120.zip again and installed once again all three
LegoMindstormsNXTdriver32.msi
LegoMindstormsNXTdriver64.msi
LegoMindstormsNXTdriver64Supp.msi
programs.

These are not programs. They are Microsoft Installer packages. And the file with 32 in the name is for 32 Bit Windows only. The other two are for 64Bit Windows. You most likely messed up your Windows installation quite a bit by installing all of them. Try uninstalling them now. As far as I recall, you can rightclick the MSI files and select Uninstall.

setup.exe is the only thing you should ever run. Installing random things is not a good way of dealing with problems.

skoehler
leJOS Team Member

Postby skoehler » Sat May 30, 2015 9:55 pm

vicci wrote:Attachment:
Dependency has revealed, that the following drivers are missing:

WBTAPI.DLL
NISPYLOG.DLL
IESHIMS.DLL
EXT-MS-WIN-NTUSER-UICONTEXT-EXT-L1-1-0.DLL
API-MS-WIN-SERVICE-PRIVATE-L1-1-1.DLL
API-MS-WIN-CORE-SHUTDOWN-L1-1-1.DLL
API-MS-WIN-CORE-PRIVATEPROFILE-L1-1-1.DLL
API-MS-WIN-CORE-KERNEL32-PRIVATE-L1-1-1.DLL

How to get them?

Well, if the dependency walker shows that these are missing, does it also show an hour glass next to all of them? Then basically it doesn't matter that they are missing cause they are optional dependencies (so called delayed load libraries). You should only worry about missing dependencies that do not have an hour glass next to them.

Return to “NXJ Software”